APS-C mode and low ISO score / noise level

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Maarten Droogne Forum Member • Posts: 89
APS-C mode and low ISO score / noise level

Can anyone help me figure out how the ISO score / noise level changes when using crop mode on the A7r III / A7 III ?

Based on the http://www.photonstophotos.net/ charts they noise level doubles when using crop mode, but why? Isnt it still the same pixel density as in FF mode? I mean, the amount of pixels get reduced by 1,54² = 2,37, so down to 17,9MP for the A7r III and to 10,2MP for the A7III which is not a lot, even by APS-C standards.

Shouldnt this make those "smaller" sensors equally good in handling high ISO ranges? I get that the noise handling would go down by 2,37 if the MP stayed the same, but with a smaller sensor (as is the case for  APS-C vs FF, fe. the Sony A6400 vs A7III which both have a ~24,2MP sensor, but where the main difference is their noise level handling (which is around 2-2,5 times better for the A7III).

Hope anyone can lend me some insight in this!

Greatings

Sony a7 III Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow