EM1 - Life without rear dial

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Leif S. Regular Member • Posts: 172
EM1 - Life without rear dial

The rear dial on my EM1 gradually stopped working and now the dial is caput, after about 4 years.  I mostly use the EM1 for wildlife (with the 75-300 II), so I really need shutter speed control.  I was able to change the Settings B menu to swap functions of the two dials, so now I can use the front dial to control shutter speed.  But it would be nice if I had a way to do Exposure Compensation (+/-).

Since I've heard the rear dial is a common problem, just curious if there are any tips for life without it.  I have no intention of spending $$$ on a new camera anytime soon.

I saw something in these forums about "a special way to turn the dial that sometimes fixes the problem" - any details on that please?

Also, just for the record, a strap lug fell out a couple years ago.

Also, I have an EM10 which just might become my "main" camera, except it is ALSO somewhat disabled by the extremely poor Olympus workmanship -- the shutter release fell off years ago, and has fallen off multiple times, but by some miracle I have never lost it and keep managing to fit it back on.  It works "fine", except the dial around the shutter release has no "ratchet" feel, it swings wildly so hard to control.

Leif S.'s gear list:Leif S.'s gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow