Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
gteague
OP gteague Senior Member • Posts: 2,525
Re: Offset setting party trick

evetsf wrote:

gteague wrote:

evetsf wrote:

gteague wrote:

i tried some tests last night, but couldn't figure out what was going on. when i put my eye to the evf and then pulled back, there was a yellow square with 4 arrows in the middle of the lcd where my nose was. but i couldn't tell if that spot was in focus or not. then i dragged the square elsewhere and again there was no focus confirmation. this was in /af single/ mode, btw. i tried again and again with different subjects and the lack of any confirmation would kill this idea for me--i need the beep or at least a green light....

/guy

OK, here's how this all works on my FZ2500. Should be the same on both your GH5 and S1:

The yellow square with 4 arrows means that you're in Single-Point AF. The fact that you see a complete square with the arrows means that you can now drag that square around with a thumb/finger/nose to a new position on the screen (bodies with an AF-point joystick can probably use that instead). Use smartphone-style pinch and spread gestures to shrink or enlarge the size of the square - the rear dial on the FZ2500 will do the same when in yellow-square mode. Also, tapping the DISP button will center the square on the screen.

That's all the yellow square means and does. Once you're done moving or resizing it, a half-press of the shutter button will turn it off. Now, you'll have four white brackets at the corners of that (now invisible) square to show you where the camera will be focusing. When you press AF-ON or half-press the shutter, those white brackets will turn green to indicate that focus has been achieved.

If you want the camera to instantly move the focus area to where you've tapped the screen and focus and take the shot - all at once - there's a setting to do that. I don't use that so I have it turned off.

Steve

i understand, but i don't think that's going to fit in my workflow. it's too slow even for a landscape photographer, let alone a wildlife photographer. and it requires i draw my head back to be able to see the lcd.

but i think i see some hope here. so i plant my nose on the screen and when i pull back there's a yellow square somewhere (not necessarily in the center, right?) so can i just go ahead and half-press the shutter either once or twice (depending on whether the first press only clears the yellow box) to get back to my regular tiny spot in the center and do my half-press and hold routine from there? that would seem to eliminate the nose press actually doing anything and might only add one step to my process (the half-press to clear the screen). and then i could use the touchscreen for other things if i chose.

[later note]
ok, just tried it and that works. i had to find how to reset the square (/disp/). so i'm using the evf and poke my nose on the lcd. when i pull back there's the yellow square. but all it takes is one half-press and i return to whatever af pattern i've set (if one-area af, it's in the center) and i get a focus confirmation.

of course, all this has nothing to do with moving the focus point, but as i said, i only use the very center anyway unless i have it set to one of the multi-area or face modes.

but this does indeed let me keep the touchscreen on just in case i do want to employ it and keeps my nose out of the camera's business.

/guy

Yep, exactly. That's also why I have mine set this way - to let me use the touchscreen but not have the AF square jump around due to an inadvertent nose touch.

BTW, you don't have to draw back from the EVF to move & resize with the touchscreen - keep your eye there, and if you can slip a thumb &/or finger next to your nose, drag, pinch & spread - you'll see the results in the EVF.

Steve

ha! i doubt i'm that coordinated! but i sure do appreciate you showing me another option for focusing--i think i'm going to use the touch tabs after all for stuff i need real quick but is hard to access like wifi or saving custom settings which i usually put in mymenu.

in any case, it sounds like the s1 works exactly as the earlier panny models.

/guy

-- hide signature --

"Before you take that shot, ask yourself: What Would HCB do?" ~/s

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic GH5 Panasonic S1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow