LUMIX LX100 II: Reduce JPG Shot brightness without affecting RAW

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Boo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,838
Re: You can do this - some samples

LowLightCompactBuyer wrote:

Ah. So even after getting my JPG as close to what I like, I shouldn't worry about the negative effects of a small "-" EV setting on the RW2 shot. This is an accurate and astute observation. Slight underexposure can be compensated.

As you could see - even quite a chunk of underexposure can be compensated - perhaps less so at the top end. Obviously, the more extreme the adjustment, the more it impacts on IQ, but I've found the RAW files more forgiving than I expected from a small sensor.

Very telling experiment. (To tell you the truth I find the first picture much more beautiful and natural looking, and would likely find a 7:3 mix of the two shots as the optimum, but that's my subjective taste in nature/landscape shots

I wasn't posting it as an example of a finished image for bragging rights, as it's perhaps too extreme, but merely to illustrate that the RAW file is more forgiving than the JPEG and what can be retrieved from them. The point being, to prioritise in getting JPEGs out of camera that suit your taste and needs and you'll still have quite a bit of latitude with the RAW, should it need something more.

Using EV also means I can stay linear... since I want JPG shots that look as natural as possible, I might start with EV -0.33 and work my way down as necessary. Again thank you!

You'll need to find what works for you - which will require a little experimentation. Don't forget the photo styles and highlight shadow adjustments to get that more natural look you want.

-- hide signature --

Most recent photos in my blog:
www.boo-creations.co.uk/blog/

Boo's gear list:Boo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow