Why do ppl prefer ricoh GR for "street photo"and not Sony RX100

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,960
Re: Why do ppl prefer ricoh GR for "street photo"and not Sony RX100

Well...

I can't speak this bluntly on the Ricoh forum, but coming from owning a GRII, I can say the following:

The Sony eats the Ricoh for lunch in many respects for street shooting. The Ricoh's sole advantage is the larger sensor for lower light work, but the camera is a slow focusing dog and has no viewfinder. In bright conditions the GR rear LCD is nearly useless and the poor thing shoots 4 FPS with a RAW buffer depth of 9 shots.

The 28mm lens is crisp, but the Zeiss/Sony lens is frankly a FAR nicer hunk of glass and can do what the Ricoh does and so much more.

I'm hardly a pro street shooter, but here are a few from this morning...

You can pretty much use anything for street work; even a phone. But the Sony is far more capable and flexible than the GR cameras.

Keep in mind that 50, 85, 135, and 200mm are all useful for street work. The Ricoh is seriously limited and worst of all, the AF and colors are poor. It has a fanbase, but a lot of the fandom isn't based on reality.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow