Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
SeeTheWorld
OP SeeTheWorld Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Alaska Photography Tips

bflood wrote:

SeeTheWorld wrote:

6 mp? That's an older photo then?

In places like Denali, Yellowstone,

We did Yellowstone in January 2017.  Awesome!

Glacier, etc, I carry 2 cameras, one with a long lens for wildlife and the other with a wide-to-normal zoom for landscape. The Alaska photo was taken in 2008, when my long lens camera was a Nikon D80 and my older camera, the D70, was set up for landscape. I learned the hard way (they only way I learn, it seems) that changing lenses means missed shots, and that changing cameras works better. So each time I have purchased a newer model, I keep the older one so I can carry 2 camera setups.

Great camera on a safari. But, I got sick of changing lenses out in the field.

That's where the bridge cameras excel - they offer such a large zoom range that the need to change lenses vanishes.

Are you a teacher, or do you actually go to speak to high schools?

Not a teacher by profession. I am a physicist and have done invited lectures at high schools and universities. The invited lectures never concerned environmental issues, but in the course of the initial lectures, some invitations to return to speak on environmental issue came up.

I like your idea of carrying the second camera, even if it just stays in your room - going on a trip of a lifetime, you'd hate to have your only camera malfunction on day #2. Having a spare is a kind of no cost insurance.

Yep!

Thank you for making me envious of your trip, and have a great time.

Thanks!  Appreciate all your input!

-- hide signature --

Mary
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world . . ." Margaret Mead

SeeTheWorld's gear list:SeeTheWorld's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G11 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow