Sever Storm Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jcharding Senior Member • Posts: 2,454
Re: Sever Storm Photography

So a few weeks ago I was processing some Yellowstone photos - the ones that spring to mind right now are some geyser plumes over background clouds.  In order to bring out the plume on cloud detail I too worked the shots with highlight adjustments, black adjustments, contrast and clarity.

Do these types of adjustments cause issues in other parts of my photos?  Probably, but I don't care.  The goal was to process for plume on cloud.  To bring out the majesty which makes those photos interesting in the first place.

Now I was using On1, because I am lazy (and pressed for time) and like to use the presets sometimes rather than use more time and work intensive methods.  I suspect you were also working quickly, and struggling with the same base issue I had - white and grey detail on top of white and grey detail.

Could I have used area processing, masks and god knows what else? Sure.  I don't want to though.  I would rather just process for what was important in the first place.

Your photos are amazing. While some technical details might have fallen off, they aren't nearly as important as improving what made the shots magical in the first place.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow