Monitor for photo editing

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rickstger New Member • Posts: 9
Monitor for photo editing

I find myself in the market for a new monitor (my 15 year old one just died), and would like to purchase one suitable for photo editing. My research has led me to the following:

BenQ SW 240 ($399); NEC P243 ($699); Eizo CS 2420 ($859).  I have identified the following cons:

I have heard that the BenQ has quality control problems with respect to homogeneity.  Apparently some are good and some not so good.  If I go this route I would also purchase a colorimeter (probably an i1 Display Pro ($260) to check the screen accuracy upon purchase.  Best Buy sells the BenQ so a return/exchange would be easy:

The NEC is only sold through mail order.  I have read that some units of the prior P242 made an annoying whistle and would need to be exchanged.  I have not been able to find any reports of the P243 model yet (it just came out at the end of last year).  It appears that the online sellers (even NEC if purchased directly from them) have a 15 to 20% restocking fee on returns.  (I imagine that does not count for an exchange - but it is still more of a hassle than simply returning it to a brick and morter).

The Eizo is pretty much out of my price range (and also apparently only available online, except if I am spending $699 for the NEC or $659 for the BenQ plus colorimeter maybe it is worth stretching the budget.  My plan would be to get a colorimeter at some point in the future, but I would wait a bit before making that purchase if I could get away without it immediately.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the relative value of the three monitors I am looking at?

Thank you for your help,

Rickstger

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow