Make W10 network more resilient?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,235
Re: Make W10 network more resilient?

Billiam29 wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

The IT Crowd (not the blokes working for Reynholm Industries) gave me a solution.

Click Settings > Network & Internet > Change adapter options. This brings up the Control Panel's Network Connections (in my version of W10).

Choose the primary Ethernet, 2 of 2 in my case. Click Disable this network device, wait, and click (same spot) Enable this network device. Avoids reboot!

Yes, that's what I've found. A number of adapter settings are not reset without a reboot unless you remove or disable the device, and then reinstall or reenable it. One particular case that may not be obvious (or relevant) to most people: if IPv6 settings on the local network change, the adapter refuses to work properly on IPv6 unless you do this.

Any idea of what the specific changes were on the local network that induced your problems? None of the IPv6 command line options for IPconfig fixed the issues? The residual IT nerd in me is just curious.

I didn't try any IPconfig options.

What happens: if for any reason my VDSL router (an Asus DSL-AC56U) restarts, clients reconnect IPv4 and get a new address via DHCP, but IPv6 won't reconnect unless the client reboots or the adapter is disabled and re-enabled.  This is with a W10 client connected to the router with Ethernet or wifi.  It's OK of the router resets the WAN connection, problematic if it reboots.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow