Why do ppl prefer ricoh GR for "street photo"and not Sony RX100

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 6,291
Re: Why do ppl prefer ricoh GR for "street photo"and not Sony RX100

vallhall wrote:

Hi

I have no experience with street photo, but why is Ricoh GR favorite?. I mean the Sony RX100 has sharp lenses, amazing af, EVF and not least zoom

Explain for me plz

Assuming you are looking at the Ricoh GR and one of the RX100 models [RX100-iii or later] as alternative pocketable cameras...

The Ricoh has a bigger sensor - 367 square millimetres area compared to the Sony's 116 square millimetres and this ought to gain the Ricoh an advantage of lower noise in poor light. In practice this is somewhat offset by the bigger aperture of the Sony's lens.

The Sony has zoom from 24mm, which is wider than the Ricoh's 28mm fixed lens, to 70mm which gives very good portrait shots.

The Sony can be used at waist level with the screen tilted up to horizontal and viewed from above. This way of working is a great favourite with street photographers - one member of the local club I attend takes award-winning pictures from very close to his subjects and they aren't even aware that he's shooting. The fixed screen of the Ricoh is a restriction.

The Sony has a viewfinder - it pops up as you probably know and can be a big help on sunny days when the rear screen is bleached out and hard to see.

So the Sony RX10-III is an altogether more versatile camera than the Ricoh, but the bigger sensor of the Ricoh may be an advantage in poor light.

In addition, I'm really not aware that the Ricoh is some kind of just right camera for street photography or that it is praised on that basis. It's a pretty good piece of kit but I'd much rather have an RX10-III and a pile of money back.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow