Eye Af Test FW 3.01 -- Not Happy and Not Working Well -- Is it me or.....

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PeterL6312
PeterL6312 Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: a camera test with respect to any AF functionality with a 3rd party lens is pointless

FastJimmy wrote:

MILC man wrote:

FastJimmy wrote:

joger wrote:

Even with the OEM lenses sometimes compatibility issues kick in.

That's why I strictly buy AF lenses from the OEM. Only in case the AF functionality is less critical e.g. for landscape or architecture (where I MF anyway) I buy 3rd party glass.

For portraiture the GM 85 and GM 135 are my favorite lenses. Eye-AF works best with AF-C in these situations.

However Zeiss has a very close relationship with Sony, so much so, that it seems to use the same upgrade software for its Batis line. This is in contrast to Sigma, Tamron, etc.

Additionally the "failure" in my hands is in stark contrast to the test I made in the camera store last week when I tested the Batis (older FW) with the same A7r3 with the older FW. So I rthink it is not as pointless as you assert.

as others have indicated, the pics that you first posted were shot at 1/60th, which is too slow to eliminate the camera movement variable, and since you didn't post full-size shots, no one can tell where the focus plane was at.

maybe someone else with the same gear as yours will weigh in, but I would suggest trying another lens, to confirm or disprove that it's a firmware issue with the body.

In another post I said I tested w/85mm/1.8. Will aslo be doing more testing today. However my A9 w/FW5.0 does not exhibit this issue w/same saettings.

Jim

Do you dare to upgrade your A9 to 5.01 ?

My understanding is that you’ve  only tested 3.01 on the A7 .

I’ve not seen any problems in A9 5.0 with native however my already flunky Commlite F adapter seems to become a bit worse when upgrading to 5.0 , not in AF precision but in overall usability

Reading your post makes me a bit reluctant to load 5.01

-- hide signature --

Kind Rgds, Peter

PeterL6312's gear list:PeterL6312's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow