Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Heliar Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

DS21 wrote:

Massao wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Would you comfortably recommend somebody today, to invest in Pentax system from scratch?

No. For a new/first-time buyer who might never buy a second lens, my recommendation would be the cheapest Nikon DSLR available at store (D3500 at the moment). It is simply the best value-for-money for a new/first-time buyer OR the cheapest Sony MILC available if making videos is a priority. In theory, I could also get a Nikon again, and buy a Tokina 35mm f/2.8 Macro lens which is optically same as my DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited, but I wouldn't, because I like ergonomics on my K-30--however, that does not mean I start giving biased recommendations to others!

Kind regards,

Massao

We Pentaxians have distorted perspective by our familiarity with the Pentax name and legacy, but step out of that comfort zone, and you will see the big fat zero of Pentax brand familiarity, for most of the people outside of our niche. 99% of regular Joe's do not know Pentax still makes cameras (they maybe heard about film era Pentax), but most people do know about Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and even Fujifilm cameras.

In the part of the world where I live in, 99% of regular Joes know only of three brands of quality photographic gear - Canon, Nikon and maybe Minolta (doesn't matter that the last one has been extinct for some time...). Sony is associated with TVs, smartphones and Playstation. "Fujifilm camera", as well as "Olympus", brings memories of cheap, plasticky compacts. "Panasonic camera" is a camcorder at best (same problem as with Sony, in the minds of ordinary people it's more a TV oriented company).

However, there are efforts made by those companies to raise awareness of the brand and the products. Fujifilm organizes a lot of promotional events, workshops, competitions. Cooperates with artists and promotes their work as well as the brand. Same goes for Olympus. Panasonic is more quiet, but their presence in camera shops has risen quite a lot.

Meanwhile, Ricoh/Pentax is basically silent. There are some ambassadors of the brand organizing workshops from time to time, and they happened to sponsor a photo event last year, but the announcements are almost nowhere to be seen. Not to mention presence in camera shops. When people ask me for some gear advice and I tell them about Pentax, they're genuinely curious and willing to try it hands on, except there's maybe like, one shop in the entire 1,5 milion city that has a Pentax camera on display!

Heliar's gear list:Heliar's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
K0d
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow