how to compare camera to mobile phone?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Franglais91 Contributing Member • Posts: 883
DXO and computational photography

I think that smartphone designers have taken our most advanced photography techniques, automated them with hardware that you just can't do on a regular camera and developed an AI system that recognises the scene and picks the best solution for the case.

I just noticed that my version of DXO Photolab 2 has lots of (new?) presets that I never noticed before, including several to do an HDR image from a single RAW file.

I think that my smartphone is doing a HDR image from several exposures taken in quick succession - which is what I thought a normal camera would not be able to do - but the result would be the same.

I tried the "HDR - backlit" preset and it worked brilliantly on a series of images that I struggled to correct a couple of days ago with the normal tools. There are also a couple of "Smartphone" presets that I must try.

So DXO is implementing Computational Photography in it's RAW editor. There's hope of getting a smartphone look easily on images done with a big camera - as long as you shoot RAW.

-- hide signature --
 Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow