Where are all the REALLY cool z-mount lenses? Locked

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
rick colman Forum Member • Posts: 95
Where are all the REALLY cool z-mount lenses?

When I recently jumped ship over to Nikon (an expensive proposition) one of the prime reasons was the new Z-mount.

The bigger hole was supposed to do wonderful things, particularly for very wide-angle lenses under low-light conditions - where I spend a lot of time.

OK - so - where are they - roadmap or not.

I bought the "kit zoom" and it is pretty good. I like the performance. 
BUT it is probably not exactly rocket science to design a decent ** F4 ** lens.

wait, wait ... here it comes, the PRO version f/2.8 (back to the future) for $2300 - more than my Z 6.

Are you kidding me?? I guess I am not in the pro class, but where is the f2.8 secret sauce? 10% lighter, 12% shorter or whatever the real numbers are. Not enough of a difference to feel anything.

I got a 35mm f1.8 at a VERY high price, hoping for miracles. ehh ... sold it.

I got the 14-30mm - hey, sounds interesting, but looking at starfields at f/4 there seems to be some astigmatism in the corners. At least the coma seems well controlled, but, then you need to have something bright to see it.

Wasn't the miraculous Z-mount supposed to solve these problems?

I have tried several f-mount lenses that can do the same thing at lower prices for less money with a much lower f-stop. Then the prices start dropping a few months after purchase. What is with that?

Suddenly, the $3300 camera body is selling for $2700, and you just lost a bunch of value.

Hey, at $2600 maybe I will get a z 7 - always wanted a really high-res sensor.

But, what if the Z 9 comes out two months later and it has all this super-stuff ...

Where's the beef? Have I been taken for a ride?

-- hide signature --

R.

rick colman's gear list:rick colman's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow