Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,410
Re: Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Massao wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Would you comfortably recommend somebody today, to invest in Pentax system from scratch?

No. For a new/first-time buyer who might never buy a second lens, my recommendation would be the cheapest Nikon DSLR available at store (D3500 at the moment). It is simply the best value-for-money for a new/first-time buyer OR the cheapest Sony MILC available if making videos is a priority. In theory, I could also get a Nikon again, and buy a Tokina 35mm f/2.8 Macro lens which is optically same as my DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited, but I wouldn't, because I like ergonomics on my K-30--however, that does not mean I start giving biased recommendations to others!

Kind regards,

Massao

For all the practical purposes, like market brand awareness, business perception, and marketing, Pentax is already out of business. Most of the people don't know Pentax still makes cameras, or that Ricoh owns Pentax, try to say that for any of the other brands still legitimately in business. We Pentaxians have distorted perspective by our familiarity with the Pentax name and legacy, but step out of that comfort zone, and you will see the big fat zero of Pentax brand familiarity, for most of the people outside of our niche. 99% of regular Joe's do not know Pentax still makes cameras (they maybe heard about film era Pentax), but most people do know about Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and even Fujifilm cameras. Pentax exists mostly in heads of Ricoh's executives now, and they are keeping the dream alive for some reason, by tagging it along with their Theta and Ricoh imaging business.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
K0d
K0d
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow