Youtubers' complaint about Eye-AF

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
inlawbiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,834
Re: Youtubers' complaint about Eye-AF

as1mov wrote:

Hi,

I have heard a complaint by many youtubers that with the Eye-AF you have to select Auto-Area mode leaving you than no option to select the focus point.

I have reconfigured one of the function buttons to select the auto-focus area mode, so whenever I do not want the Eye-AF or the Eye-AF is for some reason stuck I can switch back to, say, single-point or wide-are.

It takes a fraction of second to operate the change, so why is everybody saying that this is a limitation of the Eye-AF?

Maybe I am missing something.

Asking because I am considering a Z6. Do you have 1) press fn button to select AF mode, then 2) select the mode, then 3) move the AF point where you want it? If so that is a minimum 3 clicks. Seems like a valid complaint to me.

Olympus has face detection and it's OK at finding the face. If it can't find a face, if you press the directional pad the AF box is instantly moved that direction, so it''s only 1 press.

So in my mind ideally on the Z cameras, if face/eye detection isn't working if you just move the joystick the AF box should appear start to move around.

I like how Olympus does this, except that the face detection is only good at drawing a box around the face, giving you the impression your subject will be in focus. Unfortunately it's not so good at the actual focusing part.

Greg.

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow