Questions before buying RX100 VI

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,542
Re: Questions before buying RX100 VI

JeremyB2 wrote:

First of all, many thanks to everyone at this forum for being so helpful and friendly. I have been lurking for several months while making a decision about which camera I shall buy to supplement my Canon SX50 and I have now decided on the Sony RX100 Mk 6. I shall be buying the camera within the next month or so prior to trekking in the Langtang Valley in Nepal and will greatly appreciate comments relating to my questions below. I do realise that many of the answers to these questions can be found by looking back on earlier postings, but I ask for your tolerance in hoping for up-to-date concise information.

1) Camera bag. I have gone through threads at the DPreview Sony Cyber-shot Talk forum going back several years. Many of the suggested makes of camera bag appear to be no longer available. I want a bag that can be attached to a belt and I would like it to be as small as possible as I do not need to put anything in it other than the camera (spare batteries, etc will be carried separately). The ability to quickly remove the camera from the bag is important. I prefer Velcro on the flap rather than a zip. The bag needs to be able to accommodate the camera when fitted with a grip (See item 3 below).

Amazingly, the RX100M6, with Sony grip, will fit in my old Velcro hinged top belt case that I bought in 2012 for my original RX100. However, I attached a neck strap now, and that's too bulky to fit in, so I've re-used a larger Lowepro zipped belt case that I originally bought for my Panasonic TZ100.

I do recommend getting a neck strap, odd though that may sound for a tiny pocket camera. I got this one, and really like having the camera securely hanging round my neck while I'm using it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LEBV87M/

I also managed to fit the wrist strap that came with the camera (it took a needle threader to do it).

2) I will want an out-of-the camera battery charger. I'm not clear if the supplied 'AC adapter' is the same thing as a battery charger? I suspect not. If an out-of-camera battery charger is not supplied the optional Sony one seems to be quite expensive but is it worth it? Recommendations for an equivalent alternative?

I second Dave's recommendation or something like it. Get a USB dual charger and several inexpensive third party batteries. Amazon has plenty of options.

3) It appears that a grip is an essential with this small camera. It seems as though some grips rely purely on double-sided tape whereas another one (Photodiox) looks as though it has a screw attachment to a section fixed to the camera base. Has anyone ever had a problem with a double-sided tape attached grip coming off? I'm not sure if the Richard Franiec grip is still available. Are their any other good alternatives aside from the proprietary Sony one? Ideally I would prefer a grip that does not project beyond the lens ring at the front or add too much to the width of the camera.

The Sony one works well and is easy to attach.

4) Recommendations for memory cards? I currently have SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC cards, Class 10, U3, V30. I shan't be using much video to start with, so will this type of card be adequate for the time being?

5) Screen protector recommendations?

These work very well:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GBXS2T4/

6) Everyone seems to think that the Sony manual for the camera is not the easiest to use. I note that camera guides are available from Gary Friedman and Wim Abought.
Does anyone have a preference for one of these over the other, or indeed alternative guides.

The two most popular ones are from Gary Friedman and Alexander White. From previous experience, I prefer Friedman's approach, so that's the one I bought.

Having become used to Canon menus I anticipate finding that I need a little while to get used to the Sony menu system as my 77 year old brain absorbs and adapts to new information quite slowly now! Therefore I shall be starting off using P mode for much of the time before experimenting with settings on a broader basis. I have noted the importance of using the facility to store frequently using settings.

It's not so much the memories, but setting up your Fn grid and My Menu. Once you've done that, you seldom need to dive into the menus.

Spend some time understanding the complex autofocus options and metering modes and areas.

7) Where to buy? The sensible part of me tells me to pay nearly full price through someone like Amazon where I know I can return it easily if I have any initial problems. The practical side of me says why not go for a grey import at several hundred Pounds less but risk possible difficulties if I need to return the camera or make a warranty claim. Comments regarding reliable grey import companies will be appreciated.

I took the risk of buying a grey import. It was a lot cheaper, and worked fine. It was actually shipped from the next borough, via Royal Mail.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3638/sony_cyber-shot_dsc-rx100_vi_digital_camera_mark_mk_6_rx100m6

8) Recommendations for insurance against theft, loss, breakdown, accidental damage? I feel that this small 'bar of soap' may be at higher risk of accidental damage than my larger SX50. I will also need to look closely at the cover provided by my home insurance personal effects policy although the excess with that is quite high.

I don't have any separate insurance beyond what might be covered by travel or household insurance.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow