Considering going to 4/3 system, some questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,898
Considering going to 4/3 system, some questions

Right now I am heavily invested into Sony. I like my a7r3 and will soon be pairing it with the 16-35 2.8 GM lens. I also own the a6500, a6300, 16-70 and 18-135 aps-c lenses. My FE lenses are the 24-105, 70-300, and a couple of primes.

I used to shoot a lot of sports, weddings and portraits. Now I mainly want to do travel photography, mostly photos for the net and sometimes will make 30"x20" canvas prints for my home. I do have a 60"x40" canvas print I would like to be able to replace from time to time.

The main reason I am even considering a micro four thirds system is the pany 100-300 lens. I love the smaller size of this lens. For me this is a fun lens to use. I may want to do a 30"x20 or 16"x20" print using shots with this lens on occasion. I have the Sony 70-300 which is larger and heavier and have considered the 1" sensor RX10 IV for those fun telephoto shots.

I have been looking at cameras and Olympus has not been very active with new models (I am aware Panasonic and Olympus are interchangeable). The DC-GX9 seems like an affordable camera to pair with the 100-300. Image stabilization would be an important factor for any camera pairing up with the 100-300. I would have the Sony a7r3 for those times I want large prints, better dynamic range, and better high iso performance.

I could travel with the Arr3 and 16-35 and Pany DC-GX9 with the 100-300. What is making me think even more about a 4/3 system is maybe there can be work arounds where I can still produce a 60"x40" canvas with just a 4/3rds system. Most prints that size are more panoramic in nature so I could stitch photos together to get a larger file. For those shadowy outdoor scenes in bright sunlight I could do HDR shooting. If I were to go exclusively four thirds I could get a second body with sensor stacking. For travel photography high iso shooting is not a huge concern.

If I did want a complete 4/3 system how good are the Panasonic 24-60 and 8-18 lenses (the 2.8-4.0 versions)? I love the compact size of these lenses. What would be a good body to match with the GX9? Sensor stacking may be a desired feature. I really want to do more videos in the future.

If I make any changes it will be for a June 2020 trip to Slovenia and Croatia so it will be interesting to see what may come out in the next year,

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow