Is It capture the memory, or Photographic excellence?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,511
Is It capture the memory, or Photographic excellence?

I have been WOW'd by many photographs, over the years.  I have also been WOW'd by many captured memories.( not photographically excellent ).  Its not easy to capture photographic excellence, it takes time, set up, opportunity, light, composition, ability to capture a story from the shot, etc. While a captured memory can be deposited in you photographic memory bank and gain interest through the years until it becomes priceless. Shots that are photgrapocally  excellent, have little place in my daily life..  the people I would show an excellent shot to, would  not know what they are looking at anyway. However a captured memory no matter how it rates will usually attract more acceptance because of the subject. The simple answer here is get a cell phone and capture that memory. But photography as a hobby is a blend of experience, knowledge, ergonomics, convenience, and being one with your gear.. To many its all about the gear.. thus Digital Photography review.

I use to take lots of time and effort over the years to learn to be a good photographer, I dont ever think I made it. I have education in Photography, I have fairly good equipment, I dont have to God given gift of having a photographers eye. Ive never depended on good gear to carry me or my photography.

I know the pat hand answer is to capture a memory using techniques of photographic excellence..  For me, while those jump off the page photographs with the ultimate wow factor are great, The captured memories of my grandchild's first breath holds more value to me.

I've lost some great opportunity trying to achieve photographic excellence over the years. Some of the opportunities come and go in a few seconds.. I would rather have a fair photo of a memory, then no photograph because I was trying set up and compose an opportunity that would achieve or come close to excellence..

Sorry for the long winded thoughts. Just an opportunity for discussion

Bill

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow