What in Addition to Base Camera for Sony RX10M4?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
SeeTheWorld
OP SeeTheWorld Regular Member • Posts: 341
Re: What in Addition to Base Camera for Sony RX10M4?

Jerry045 wrote:

What is a CPL and an ND filter?

I will look those up.

Thanks, Jerry

A ND (Neutral Density) filter cuts down the light across the entire visible spectrum. It is used when you have more light than you want, possibly when making a video or in many cases playing with waterfalls and fountains trying to get the shutter speed slow enough to get that milky effect.

Here's a shot with no filter.

Slow the shutter speed with a ND filter.

Likewise no filter

With a ND filter.

What kind of effect do you wish to create?

In addition to a few individual ND filters, I also have an adjustable on that can vary from 2 to 8 stops.

Also sometimes taking video at 24 to 30 frames a second there is too much light and the camera can't be stopped down enough, so a ND filter lets you open the aperture a bit more.

These are really great example photos and I get the concept.  I'm also looking at your speed and see the slow down.  Is it possible to get that look without the ND filter, and the ND filter makes the camera more effective with that?

I'd read that some people were disappointed that the RX10M4 doesn't have its own ND filter.  I thought it was the movie makers that were most disappointed.

I'm planning to try to take photos of our water fountain on Program mode, playing with the controls for speed and light.  I've tried this before and got it, but that was years ago and I'm unable to remember how I did it.

Thanks for the lessons!

-- hide signature --

Mary
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world . . ." Margaret Mead

SeeTheWorld's gear list:SeeTheWorld's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G11 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow