Sony 24-105mm F4 OR Tamron 28-75mm

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,258
Tamron is also best at close focusing, more magnification

Dirk W wrote:

I only have 2 ff lenses, the Sony 70-300 and the Tamron 28-75. The Tamron is so good, sharp and versatile that I don't feel the need for any fixed lens in its zoom range, certainly not an f2.8, except maybe I will buy one f1.4 lens some time, probably a 35mm. I am just back from a 10 day West Canada trip with the both lenses and my A7R2 and did not feel that I missed anything. The Tamron performs extremely sharp in landscapes, and gives you low light capabilities for evening shots with it's 2.8 aperture. And its's small and light.

Agree.  Tamron close focuses down to 7.5" about and Sony requires 9.5".  Tamron also magnifies before.  I didn't figure i would be using Tamron as much as i do.

Have sold the FE 28.  Bought a Canon 135mm f2 to complement the Tamron.  I'm trying for the most flexibility in a small pack.  Folks say that 1 stop of light isn't much - i disagree - its twice the amount of light gathered over an f4.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow