Nikon Z advisory

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
DigitalFFUser Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: Nikon Z advisory

briantilley wrote:

DigitalFFUser wrote:

I like to take mostly portraits with shallow depth of field. Its a child's play for Z while D850 can't hold a candle and there are less keepers;

If that's your conclusion, I suspect you haven't yet found the optimal settings for the D850's AF system. In what way do you think it's deficient? (I ask as someone who has used the D850 and Z6 for portraits).

No expert's scientific conclusion.

"Autofocus is indeed more accurate with the Z7, for static subjects."

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62684404

AF for this kind of photography is not as accurate as mirror-less cameras like Z6/Z7.

For fast action I am still keeping my D850 but not everybody does BIF. For that we have D5/D850/D500. Horses for courses (not) dude.

In my opinion, you are losing credibility every time you post your exaggerated impressions of the Z cameras' capabilities.

You will lose credibility if deny scientific conclusion.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62684404

Posting the same link twice is unnecessary.

I would agree that the Z cameras (with on-sensor AF and now, eye AF) make accurate focus for portraits somewhat simpler, but the D850 (and other Nikon DSLR's) can do a perfectly acceptable job when set up and handled correctly.

So, I ask again - why do you think the D850 "can't hold a candle" for portraits (from your own usage, not from test charts)?

I exaggerated a bit here . Not so long ago I was madly in love with D850.   

Having said that I'd love to nail focus on eyes every single time which is not guranteed on D850 due to the very nature of the beast (its CDAF).  Some lenses like Tamron 70-200 G1 required crazy -20 fine tuning to be useful and that too doesn't work for all distances.  I have more confident with Z6 thanks to its on sensor AF and yes now we have eye AF too.

DigitalFFUser's gear list:DigitalFFUser's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
NCB
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow