Interesting 2017 test on UV/clear filters, and my cleaning ideas

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Booted Cat Regular Member • Posts: 296
Interesting 2017 test on UV/clear filters, and my cleaning ideas

An interesting 2017 test on UV/clear filters

A month ago I found that tiny scratches had crept onto my Hoya Fusion (marketed as "Evo" in the US) Antistatic Protector. Although I haven't observed any problem with resulting images (e.g. bird eyes at 100% zoom), I want to try a new filter (and reserve the current one as a backup).

I have been researching online opinions about Hoya Fusion Antistatic vs. B+W XS-Pro MRC Nano, both having a claimed 99.8% light transmission rate.

It led me to this pretty recent (2017) test:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/06/the-comprehensive-ranking-of-the-major-uv-filters-on-the-market/

The test brought a seemingly even nicer candidate to my attention: Nikon Neutral Color NC Filter, which has a measured 99.8% light transmission rate (while B+W's MRC Nano Clear only has a measured 99.4% transmission rate) and a price as low as about $40 (77mm) on China's online market Tmall.com.

Does anyone have experience with this Nikon filter?

Filter cleaning ideas of mine

I guess the scratches on my current filter are likely caused by hard particles that traveled from my tripod's feet to the tripod bag, then to the tripod body, to my hands, to the camera body, to the camera bag, to the lens cap (the lens cap rests in the camera bag when the camera is in use), and finally to the filter.

The gentlest filter cleaning idea I can come up with, when a blower fails, is to immerse the filter in a washbasin of water and gently wave the filter in the water and let water flow naturally wash off dirty stuff on the filter.

If that fails, still immerse the filter in water and use medical cotton balls to gently wipe the filter in water.

If that fails, still immerse the filter in water and use your finger to gently wipe the filter in water.

In the end, try to let the filter dry naturally, or use an hair dryer, or a hand dryer in a KFC restaurant (which I have access to).

How does that sound?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow