Nikon Z advisory

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,556
Re: For someone who has never owned one...

rbmphoto wrote:

You certainly seemed bothered by the Z line.

Not in the least.  I'm disappointed in Nikon's attempt at making a ML body. I'd have bought one.

Is someone strongly urging you to by one?

Not at all.

Typically before I “mouth off” on a topic, particularly to the extent you have been posting and seemingly can’t let this go, I try to have some hands on experience with that product. You too were strongly in that camp and had been for some time.

There are no camps. I do have an issue with fellows portraying it as the Holy Grail, everything Nikon is Golden and so on.  I've seen enough reviews, read enough on the issues to take a position on the Zee line. It does not take much to discover it has poorer AF, one card slot, an adapter than many take issue with, the need for an adapter in itself, the fact that the Z6 would have made a nice ML Df except for the fact you can't meter those nice old Ai and Ais primes properly, too small, won't balance with large lenses properly, and the idea that Nikon intends to sell anyone that buys one a whole new set of lenses that will not take one image better then I can take now with my f mount. I certainly not going to buy one to prove I'm right. It just dropped $1600 in Toronto, so it is tanking.

What has changed? Why are you so bothered and expending so much energy on this topic?

I just have a side to the discussion. Z owners don't want anyone to have a different side to the discussion. I'm wondering if DPR wants anyone to have a different side to the discussion. I've been told by other members that a different opinion doesn't float on the Z forum.  Not sure what it's like on FM. I had meant to ask.

What I find amusing is that every time a Z discussion starts over here, fellows such as yourself float over here to defend the Z. IMO, you know what you've bought and really, deep down, you know what I'm saying is true. There'd be no discussion on any of this here if you stuck to the Z forum and discussed the Z there.

You used to have better things to do with your time...

I sold my business in January and taking some time before starting something else. I did find some time this evening to shot a rare (and in the wild) Albino moose.

And I'm not sure I ever spent my time on better things.

And I am disappointed that it's not better then it is (ie my points above)  I'd have bought one.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
NCB
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow