Linksys router users beware:

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
OP Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 8,201
Re: Linksys router users beware:

kelpdiver wrote:

Austinian wrote:

I saw a suggestion to reflash the router with third-party open-source firmware; I did that once on an old Linksys with a different problem, and it worked. The drawback I've read of is that in some cases this causes a decrease in maximum performance. (Though back then my cable modem was so slow I didn't see any difference. )

I'd venture that more often, dd-wrt and others lead to better performance, and certainly better feature sets. OEM offerings are much better now thanks to them.

It's been years since I had to research this, but what I recall reading is that some routers used proprietary chips that were not publicly documented, so difficult to write optimized code for.

But...documentation is a real gap, and if you misstep, you can brick the box. It always puzzles me how people can put so much effort into making a better mouse trap, and then get indignant at the suggestion it should include decent instructions.

Documentation is nontrivial, and a tech writer friend of mine told me that good coding skills and good technical communication skills don't often occur within the same person. She makes a good living acting as an interpreter.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow