Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Peak freak Regular Member • Posts: 482
Re: Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

NextShowForSure wrote:

JoWinter wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

WSteveP wrote:

Article blames lack of native lenses. However given the compatability of EF lenses (with adapter) I'm not sure that would be the reason.

One comment on this again, I think more the lack of a kit lens to be more of a problem. I don't really think lenses, in general, are a problem, but the lack of a suitable kit lens is just freaking odd.

I agree, absolutely. If you want to achieve a 15 or 20 percent market share, you need to attract buyers that do not yet own a Canon full-frame DSLR yet (Canon M and APS-C owners, those coming from other brands). These potential customers do not own EF lenses.

Some people suggest that the availability of the adapter and the existing ecosystem of EF lenses is good enough, but I don't think so. Few potential buyers will consider an EF lens now as a stop-gap until a similar RF lens comes out in one, two, three years. Sure, Canon can't introduce all these lenses at once, but they need to cover the gap. Affordable, versatile kit lenses are essential for that.

I have a really hard time figuring out why Canon did not introduce a true RF kit lens one along with the RF -- even though I accept that they are playing a long game.

This is very true given that full frame is gathering more light anyhow why don't the makers seem to want to produce a standard round about f3.5 - 5.6 24-70mm lens and use this natural advantage?

it is baffling to me why the emphasis is on such large expensive super fast stuff ignoring the advantage in the sensor itself with normal speed giving naturally larger aperture lenses.

Agreed. Canon are really targeting the professional end with their RF lenses (and they do look very nice and all), but by releasing the RP without the lens you describe, doesn't make sense to me.

A Fuji XT-3 + 18-55 comes in about the same as the RP + 24-105 STM. Canon could have made the choice much easier for new customers, but didn't (?)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow