Image quality, blah-blah, what do you actually do with it?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,694
Image quality, blah-blah, what do you actually do with it?

Have many DPR contributors unconsciously lost a sense of proportion and reality I ask myself? In fact I could ask that for most photography forums, blogs and Youtube videos. The common thread running through so many is "image quality, image quality, image quality" as if that really means one specific thing (which of course it doesn't). But what are you good people actually doing with these advances in "IQ"? BTW it used to mean Intelligence Quotient in the good old days

Almost all cameras and lenses now have good enough "image quality" for a world that is moving quickly away from print to screen, and to small screen at that. The usual answer is "I print large"...well do you? Or is this a convenient excuse for the real truth...that we sit transfixed to our computer screens examining images in minute detail for the self-gratification that comes from shed-loads of money just spent on the latest iteration of our camera body / lens / post-processing software? Will anybody else even see this wonderful output and if they do, will anything be evident to them that wouldn't have been evident a few hardware or software generations ago? Maybe the visual, artistic and emotional impact is actually LOWER, as that seems to be taking second place in the current scramble for megapixels, sharpness, DR, or whatever...

Now, maybe there is hope, in that old film cameras and lenses are coming back into vogue, as are it seems some early digital cameras - now claiming the tag "classic" in online forums. People searching for "the look" rather than the detail. Instagram and Facebook could become the friends of better photography if we just skimmed the zillions of images that come through day after day and only thumbs-up when something actually stops us in our tracks (that's what I do now)

Is 90% of the stuff argued about in these forums actually advancing real-world photographic output or a purely self-indulgent activity? Perhaps there's nothing wrong with the latter, but let's be honest about it and ask ourselves is that really what we set out to do when we classed ourselves as photographers?

I'm as guilty as the next person for doing the exact opposite to what I preach, but expressing myself here is part a process of change I've promised for 2019. Will I get there? Well spending less time on these gear forums is the first step. Last post ever? Probably not, but maybe fewer and different to the past.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
(unknown member)
AOC
Zoc
tko
sbu
sbu
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow