A-Mount

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
cgarrard
OP cgarrard Forum Pro • Posts: 15,673
Re: A-Mount

toughluck wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

... well?

I'd be sad to see it go quietly. I hope it doesn't.

It won't. Sony is extremely averse to killing off product lines without offering a migration path to another line

Are you saying that other line is E-Mount?

What are your thoughts on the management of the A-Mount since SLT?

Pretty much the same treatment as other niche products, maybe even better than some. Consider that Canon released their high end APS-c DSLR, EOS 7D ii at the same time as Sony released A77ii (six (or was it seven?) years ago). Neither camera was updated even though Canon probably sold more of that model than Sony sold all SLTs in that time. And I honestly think it's more likely we'll see A77iii than EOS 7D iii.

I hope so! I'm likely to get the A77II for my next article.

What should Sony do with the A-Mount?

Move back in time and make all Sony lens releases SSM or SAM, then make the A700 full frame with the Nikon D3/D700 sensor and sell it for the same price as the A700. Use the 12 megapixel APS-c sensor in A200 and A300. Avoid the A350. Follow up with A900 with its 24 megapixel sensor, continue development of their 16, 20 and 24 megapixel APS-c sensors, but only offer it in amateur SLTs. A6x and above needs to be full frame. Keep it simple -- 24 and 36/42 megapixel sensors in two body sizes.

Interesting thoughts, hindsight is always 20/20 right?

What do you think will happen with the A-Mount?

Nobody knows, I think even Sony doesn't know very well.

That's probably true.

-Carl

Appreciate your thoughts. All thoughts on this thread haven't surprised me much. All I know, is that I think the market is still hungry for SLT, long as the products tick those invisible boxes we have in our minds ;).

Carl

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow