Why cameras like the M are still worth carrying everywhere

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,542
Re: Why cameras like the M are still worth carrying everywhere

Veducci wrote:

GinaRothfels wrote:

I read most of the discussion on my computer earlier but had to come back to look at the photos on my phone. Even at that small size the difference is amazing.

I don't need much convincing though because I hate using my phone as a camera and only do so when I'm just trying to keep a record of something like the price of a product. Even then I struggle because I find it hard to keep my phone steady enough to get decent shots. I never go anywhere without a "real" camera but size matters. That's why I'm hoping the M50 will suit my needs perfectly.

You truly need to upgrade your inadequate phone to one with image stabilization if you can`t steady it good enough for getting a decent shot.

Image stabilization doesn't help with subject movement. Camera phones, even the very good ones, have very small sensors, which suffer from noise at high ISO. So, they choose low shutter speeds. Image stabilization allows for sharp enough shots of stationary objects, but people are always moving, at least a little. This isn't rocket science. It's basic photography. Even the best camera phones can't compete with an APS-C sensor and decent lens in less than the best light. The great thing about the M system is that you can get that sensor in a very small package.

The problem with the OP`s original example was that it was not representative of a good phone camera image.

Irrelevant. See above.

With regards to carrying a "real" dedicated camera around 24/7 all I can say is I got sick of that long ago. Size definitely matters .

Fine. And for those of us who aren't satisfied with camera phone shots, we have the M. You know, the cameras this forum is about. I'm sure there's a forum for camera phones that would be delighted to hear your babblings.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow