how to compare camera to mobile phone?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,381
Not listening.....

SergeyAU wrote:

I don't want them to look the same. I want my camera photos to look better than my phone's. At the moment my phone is ahead of me, so I am trying to learn by the only example available

You are not listening.  Exposure settings are the same on all formats and will give you similar looking unprocessed photos.  Your cell phone is doing a lot, and I mean a lot of post processing after the shot is taken that you are not aware of.  Your camera does very little post processing to give you a more realistic looking photo.  Not necessarily a more pleasing photo but a more accurate one.  If you want the photo to look more "pleasing" like your cell phone shots you are either going to have to learn post processing (what we used to do in the darkroom in the days of film), or you are going to have to make global changes to your camera's JPEG settings (contrast, saturation, color balance, sharpening,etc.) which will apply to every photo you take whether appropriate for the individual scene or not.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow