The little Sony arrived. Any tips setting it up?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,062
Re: GX8 to M6 comparison

vallhall wrote:

To tell the truth, i am not very good at both photo and especially using programs like DXO. I mostly let the autocorrection work for me then i use it!.

With DxO I let its auto correction and adjust do its thing and then review the image carefully. If I don't like what I see then I adjust the settings and store those settings as a preset and then when happy make that the new default preset that works on the images. Then I can run a batch of images through using that new default and only go back to those few of the batch that still don't look quite right for some reason.

For most jpegs I find that FastStone Viewer is all that I need, it has auto correction plus a few edit adjusts as well as cloning and levelling wonky horizons. Very useful toolbox software and is optional donate-ware. I did donate years ago as it is so good.

I use FastStone all the time for resizing and re-sharpening for web display to avoid uploading full sized images which are basically a waste of space for internet viewing.

I have had my GX8 for over 3 years and maybe shoot around 300 pics.

I have a pair of Olympus E-P5 bodies and change them over probably on a 6 monthly to one year basis to even out the wear. No such thing as a yearly average for me as I am always taking odd record shots of projects in hand, and then on a holiday will get extremely busy. Last really big holiday was 6 weeks in Ireland and UK and took something over 6,000 shots with one of the E-P5.

But even if i use my cameraes little, i want to have a good IQ.

Same for me, the images need to look OK. It's pointless having a camera that produces images that are bad to look at.

I am a teck nerd and love electronics

In my case film cameras from 1960 to 2002 and digital cameras from then on.

Work days involved maintaining and repairing room sized computers from 1963 to 1988 when I retired early. Have too many computers at home, mostly Windows but also Android tablets and a few older computers running Linux.

I used to build electronic stuff but seem to have zero time to play with that lately. Though upcoming will be installing batteries and radio control gear in garden railway locos of around 1:24 scale size.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow