Alex Sarbu wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

I think color issue at least in JPEG is established in dpreview GR3 review though color desaturation in RAW as ISO climbs up is not adequately addressed.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr-iii/5

There's no unusual color desaturation as ISO climbs up. On the contrary, the GR III is quite good at keeping the color.

Alex

Premature color desaturation of GR3 RAW

Here is a sample at ISO 800 but color desaturation in RAW is noted even in base ISO or from ISO 200. It is subtle but it is there.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=ricoh_griii&attr13_1=nikon_d7200&attr13_2=nikon_d610&attr13_3=nikon_d800&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=800&attr16_1=800&attr16_2=800&attr16_3=800&normalization=full&widget=673&x=0.3425143380301338&y=0.23260128517394898

I strongly disagree with your assessment.

First, you're using the comparison widget which doesn't work properly. But let's ignore that for now.

Second - and most important - your selection is not meant to show color desaturation. Some things to note:

• if you compare the GR III at ISO 100 and ISO 800 (and higher) you'd notice how well it keeps the color. There's no noticeable desaturation; just the extra noise.

That's why I said premature color desaturation of GR3 RAW. And correct wording may be 'There seems to be no further noticeable desaturation; just the extra noise.'

Your "premature color desaturation" simply means that you don't have a base line. It simply means you cannot show any color degradation as ISO increases - because there isn't any.

When you compare GR3 RAW with its peer (for example D7200) RAW and GR3 RAW shows color desaturation at each ISO does it not mean anything?

Oh, but you never compared the RAW files - but converted RAWs, their displayable interpretation by some processing software or another.

And any color difference can means many things. I would rather suspect processing differences and/or Bayer CFA differences, than make up theories about noise reduction uniformly desaturating the colors at every ISO.

• you instead are comparing different cameras, with different processing profiles (and a software that didn't yet support the GR III).
  • even more, you are trying to be unfair by including full frame cameras.

I included Nikon D7200 which has same APS-C sensor

Same? Are you sure about that? Does it have the same Bayer color filter array? Does Adobe process the RAW files in exactly the same way?

Don't make things complex. It is a common sense to make things as simple as possible when you make an argument. Making things complex only makes things complicated and unsolvable.

Would you rather have me not ask the obvious question, and go with prejudice instead?

with same MP count as that of GR3, same 24 MP but FF D610 and 36 MP FF D800. So GR3 vs. D7200 is a peer comparison and D610 for same MP count but to compare APS-C with FF and D800 for 24 MP APS-C vs. 36 MP FF. I think all meaningful comparisons they are, interesting comparisons at least.

Only to the point that you still fail to show this supposed issue, despite such an unfair and incorrect comparison.

Supposed issue? If you do not admit an issue I do not have to argue with you. It's a waste of time.

Yes, supposed issue, because you were unable to demonstrate it.

What you're describing is basically the Loch Ness monster - you say it's there but it just can't be seen.

The truth may be we differ in interpretation of fact. The fact is standing like a mountain. When you are blindfolded of course you cannot see whatever there is.

Curiously, when you are blindfolded you might see what isn't there.

I wear glasses not a blindfold. Isn’t it a paranoia to worry about something which is not real?

I honestly don't care what it is, but your anti-GR III tirade is tiresome. I'm here to learn about a still unfamiliar brand, not to hear about imaginary faults of my camera.

Alex

I’m not sure how I can even use this camera anymore ... I mean, it’s got so many problems that non users have Found that us users haven’t. Let’s hear it for the non users everyone!

Only remember GR3 RAW files are desaturated whatever the cause may be. Knowing this may give you a sailing tip at the very least.

James, I don’t need the tip. I’ve been using it and the colors are not desaturated in any meaningful way to me. In fact they are more saturated than my Fuji files. I can base my information off of hundreds of photos I have made, not from a few random photos on the internet.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow