A curious Canon repair question.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 219
A curious Canon repair question.

As noted in other posts, I had dropped my Canon 6DII out of my camera bag and it fell about five feet to my bedroom floor. Ultimately it couldn't be fixed with phone support, so I sent it in to Canon's repair facility in Virginia. They estimated the repair cost at about $320, and I had my insurance pay the estimate. Canon acknowledged receipt of the check, and then began repairs.

But Canon just recently sent me an email saying they weren't going to repair my camera, as "In an effort to provide our valued customers with a fast and economical repair solution for in-warranty products like yours, this model is exchanged as a whole unit when sent in for service. Below is our estimate for this repair or replacement ($0.00). An equivalent new or factory-refurbished replacement product will be shipped to you and your original unit will be recycled, reflecting our commitment to environmental sustainability."

Huh? In the first place, my 6DII wasn't in warranty, since I had it for longer than a year. Secondly, I can't believe the warranty would be honored anyway, since the damage to the camera wasn't caused by normal usage. And so I called my agent at State Farm insurance to see what she might make of this. After all, the repair was on their dime, so to speak.

My agent told me that most likely Canon determined it would take too much time to fix the camera, and so decided to just send another unit and get the  matter over with. But what about the $320? Most likely they would keep that, she said, to absorb the cost of replacement. But wouldn't Canon lose big money on the deal? Most likely not, she replied. I might be surprised at how much these cameras really cost the company to make, and if there are a lot of repair jobs facing them it might make more sense to replace the unit and keep the line moving.

Do you think what she said makes sense, or is there something I'm overlooking here? Thanks for all opinions.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow