Your f/1.4 35mm AF Preferences

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
thiefofpresence
OP thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 665
because: why not

aSevenArr wrote:

Most people are naturally going to vote for whatever it was that they decided to buy. I doubt that anybody will own more than one 35mm prime.

OP here revealing his summation of the input seen in the very recent dual purchase:

Split the 35mm prime role in two:

Ultra compact for one-camera-one-lens days — stealthy, two stops more forgiving aperture for run and gun AF hit rate consistency

big hunk of glass that when you want that rendering you know why you are lugging it around - probably going to live paired with FE 4/24-105 G for the minimum viable system pack that I love trying to avoid exceeding

Picked up the Lens Station as AF 1.8/45 feels like an inevitability

Tried Batis 2/40 CF and was jaw-dropping impressed with CF rendering. But CAF Tracking was a near-deal killer.

Sigma 1.4/35 Art was better in several ways except - CAF tracking.

I sound like a video dude, but actually it’s just my shooting style. Focus lock, track and the expectation of decoupled shutter firing at will with reliability. The experience is like watching what you hope is an in focus video of a moving subject and taking screen grabs.

For S-&-giggles I mounted Sigma 1.4/40. Excalibur. I need to one day slow down and dedicate an entire phase in photography to shooting that staggeringly sharp inconceivable beast of a lens. Flat line MTF? What?!

[“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...”]

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/thiefofpresence
Sony A7iii | Zeiss Batis 2/25; Sony FE 1.8/85 | Sony FE 4/24-105 G OSS; Sony FE 4/70-200 G OSS; Sigma 150-600 (+MC-11)

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow