Computational photography to compensate for smaller sensor disadvantage?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 2,476
Computational photography to compensate for smaller sensor disadvantage?

As the fast decline of smaller sensor format like APS C and M43 and the rise of full frame continue ( yeah, I know the whole market is in decline, but APS C and M43 decline way faster than full frame), it's strange that camera makers like Fujifilm, Olympus, Panasonic all have yet to utilize the much faster readout speed advantage of smaller sensors coupled with computational photography to give them better bokeh and noise performance, is it because they:

1. Don't have powerful enough processor yet.
  2. Afraid of eating into lenses sale.
  3. Both.

Yeah, I know that "fake bokeh" is not there yet (still a bit in the uncanny valley) but gives it a few more years and you'll not know the difference between photo taken with a smartphone and one taken with a full frame camera with ultra fast lenses.

I think in the future the only way for smaller sensors to survive is to embrace computational photography.

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
sbu
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
AOC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow