GR lll Review

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
Re: Color of GR3 RAW

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

I think color issue at least in JPEG is established in dpreview GR3 review though color desaturation in RAW as ISO climbs up is not adequately addressed.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr-iii/5

There's no unusual color desaturation as ISO climbs up. On the contrary, the GR III is quite good at keeping the color.

Alex

Premature color desaturation of GR3 RAW

Here is a sample at ISO 800 but color desaturation in RAW is noted even in base ISO or from ISO 200. It is subtle but it is there.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=ricoh_griii&attr13_1=nikon_d7200&attr13_2=nikon_d610&attr13_3=nikon_d800&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=800&attr16_1=800&attr16_2=800&attr16_3=800&normalization=full&widget=673&x=0.3425143380301338&y=0.23260128517394898

I strongly disagree with your assessment.

First, you're using the comparison widget which doesn't work properly. But let's ignore that for now.

Second - and most important - your selection is not meant to show color desaturation. Some things to note:

- if you compare the GR III at ISO 100 and ISO 800 (and higher) you'd notice how well it keeps the color. There's no noticeable desaturation; just the extra noise.

That's why I said premature color desaturation of GR3 RAW. And correct wording may be 'There seems to be no further noticeable desaturation; just the extra noise.'

- you instead are comparing different cameras, with different processing profiles (and a software that didn't yet support the GR III).

- even more, you are trying to be unfair by including full frame cameras.

I included Nikon D7200 which has same APS-C sensor with same MP count as that of GR3, same 24 MP but FF D610 and 36 MP FF D800. So GR3 vs. D7200 is a peer comparison and D610 for same MP count but to compare APS-C with FF and D800 for 24 MP APS-C vs. 36 MP FF. I think all meaningful comparisons they are, interesting comparisons at least.

What you're describing is basically the Loch Ness monster - you say it's there but it just can't be seen.

The truth may be we differ in interpretation of fact. The fact is standing like a mountain. When you are blindfolded of course you cannot see whatever there is.

Alex

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow