Panasonic 10-25mm f/1.7 lens rumoured price

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 37,335
Re: Consider Sigma 18-35mm f/1,8 + Viltrox EF-M2

Michael Meissner wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

The FL is very interesting. But there isnothing close to it. I can live with a 2,5k € price. If there also would have been something like a 10-20 mm F2.8 at sub 1000 euro prices.

Well there is always the Sigma 11-35mm f/1,8 (EF mount) + Viltrox EF-M2 that a lot of videographers use on their GH5s.

Lets see, if I go to amazon.fr to get the price in euros, I see the Sigma 11-35mm f/1,8 Canon lens is currently 729,00€ and the Viltrox EF-M2 is 189,00€. That is 918,00€

The Viltrox EF-M2 speed reducer multiplies the focal length by 0,71 and makes the lens one stop faster, so in theory it should be equivalent to a 12,78mm to 24,5mm lens at f1,3.

Metabones has a similar adapter that was released first, and is somewhat more expensive. But most of the reviews I've seen use the Viltrox EF-M2.

Now, obviously if you need the lens to be splash resistant, you need the 10-12mm focal length range, or you have a Panasonic body and want DFD support in continuous focusing, then you need to buy the Panasonic lens.

Note, I currently do not have either the lens or the adapter, but I suspect they will eventually find their way in my bag, particularly if the price is indeed $2,500 US.

I think that you made a “typo” Michael and mean the Sigma DC 18-35mm f1.8.  The converted figures you quote also reflect this.  I have this lens and it works very well on M4/3 bodies both with Viltrox and Metabones adapters.

I also have to add that this is a DC lens made for aps-c image circle and when focal reduced it projects (concentrates) the full aps-c image circle on to the 4/3 sensor - in fact slightly more but does not vignette.  So those that like the idea of lenses being fully surfaced-used to their made-design should be happy and not need to run off to a FF sensor to get “full value” for their money

Furthermore a “plain” adapter can be used and the lens proves to be a very useful 18-35mm f1.8 lens as well image cropped in that configuration.

It is on the large size but I imagine that the prospective new Panasonic lens will not actually be tiny either.

I will consider the new lens on its merits but hope our dollar recovers quite a lot as its current value makes buying new lenses quite easy to resist.

I don’t really consider one as a complete direct substitute for the other - but just as another possible string to the bow that is available here and now for those in any hurry.

I also consider it excellent that both Olympus and Panasonic are making exotic lenses at the less affordable end of the market for only this will allow the 4/3 sensor to give its best rendition possible.

Everyone does not need to buy one - no compulsion ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow