how to compare camera to mobile phone?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,481
Same settings.....

SergeyAU wrote:

there was a discussion before about why phones seem to take better pictures these days. I am just trying to work out a simple formula to convert settings that my s9 has taken pictures with to settings on my Canon M100

S9 crop factor is 6.1 (1/2.55" sensor)

M100 crop factor is 1.6

Is there a simple calculator somewhere to convert aperture, shutter, ISO from one size sensor to another?

Exposure settings do not vary from format to format.

If that was the case, hand held light meters would have to be format specific.....

If phone used f1.7, 1/125, ISO 1200, what should I set my camera to for a similar looking picture?

so use the same exposure settings.

Most of the differences you are seeing between formats is angle of view of the lens, and the heavy post processing that is being done in the phone compared to the minimal post processing that is being done in camera by your Canon.

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow