Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Heliar Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Batdude wrote:

Whenever I see my subject thru the OVF I never see anything "beautiful" hahahaha! so that reason and explanation from Ricoh sucks. I don't buy it.

When you look through the OVF, you see the world, exactly as it is. If you never see anything 'beautiful' there, why bother taking pictures?

For me, the view from the OVF is an important thing in the picture taking process. I feel (and I'd like to emphasize this word, as it is definitely a subjective thing) that in this brief moment, with the camera up to my eye, the connection to the world as it really is, with no imposed 'translations' between me and the subject, enhances the impression of being a part of that world; not just witnessing as an observer, but also living through this exact moment I want to preserve.

It's also why I adore using manual focus lenses. It's a multisensory experience, both visual and tactile, and I simply love seeing the subject emerge from shifting planes of focus. It's almost a 'cinematic' thing in some way.

As a general remark, I feel like we're living through weird times in photography. People are very goal oriented and view the picture taking process as an obstacle. Camera is a necessary evil and a potential source of problems. Its first and only goal is to provide the best possible image file (or rather, a file that has not been ruined too much), measured solely by AF accuracy and resolving power of the lenses. The rest can be added/corrected in post, most of it automated. And then almost no one makes a print, because you cannot share a print through social media.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy weirdo that belongs to another planet, but I think something important is missing in all this.

Just my 2c

Heliar's gear list:Heliar's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
K0d
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow