* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #577 on 2019 05 15 *

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,156
Re: Agriculture around Schiphol airport ..

LouHolland wrote:

Agriculture around Schiphol airport, Holland.

I do not make much landscape images and despite the fact that the Netherlands is almost flat, there are still many places that are very worthwhile.

This photo was made at Schiphol airport and I was so busy with shadows, plow tracks, colors, texture that I didn't notice the plane at all. If you follow the slots in the middle to the two towers on the horizon, there is a Boeing 747 between them. Almost unseen, I also saw it much later.

However, in the foreground you see a number of zigzag lines and those are the traces of fairly thick trees that the low sun has left behind and the large strip of shadow with light openings in it is the foliage. It was this combination of beautiful sky, agri landscape lines and cracked shadows that I never saw before here that attracted me to take a picture.

The question remains whether you prefer the Black & White or the Color photo and why. I already have an answer but I am curious how you think about it.

1.b & w

2.color

Click on "original size" for best magnification.

Lou

Which one do I like the best?, you ask. That is a very good question. Normally I would say that B&W would be ideal for this poem in light and shade, hard-edged furrows and rounded clouds. However, on balance, I prefer the colour one. I think the contrast between brown and blue help lead the eye into the picture, and tends to get lost in the maze of shapes in the B&W.

In any case, it is well seen, with the criss-cross of furrows and shadows across them, and the wonderful light and clouds, and even a 747 playfully hidden, and waiting to be discovered.

Pete

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow