how to compare camera to mobile phone?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
PhotoTeach2 Senior Member • Posts: 9,761
Re: how to compare camera to mobile phone?

SergeyAU wrote:

But how can I set them the same, as my mobile is F/1.7 and my lens is F/3.6?

This is VERY VERY VERY S-I-M-P-L-E ..

Simply compensate for the smaller f/stop with longer Shutter-Speed --OR-- higher ISO, (not BOTH).

Then the equivalent exposure WILL still BE THE SAME.

The standard f/stops are f/1, f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16.

So your f/1.7 is between 1.4 and 2.

Your f/3.6 is between 2.8 and 4, (so almost 2stops smaller)

So SIMPLY "compensate" by using (almost) 2-stops (longer) SHUTTER-SPEED (so 1/30 on "M" instead of 1/125s on phone)

OR, (or ... not BOTH)

Simply using (almost) 2X ISO (so ISO-2500 instead of ISO-1200 on phone)  NOTE: This is ASS-U-ME-ing that the ISO calibration is the same between phone & camera -- and it may not be.

(or alternately you could use BOTH 1-stop longer shutter-speed and 1-stop higher ISO.)P

I keep repeating, (but you don't seem to be hearing), that EXPOSURE SETTINGS are the SAME, only the DOF, (and noise-levels), are different. YOU ARE ONLY COMPENSATING W/ SAME OFFSETTING SETTINGS.

The DOF will be shorter/shallower on "M", and noise-levels will be lower on "M".

The Crop-Factor ONLY applies to "equivalent" FOCAL-LENGTH or DOF, (f/1.7 on phone equivalent to between f/8 and f/11 on "M").

The Exposure-SETTINGS remain the SAME. (albeit will need to be inversely offset from f/1.7 to f/3.6)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow