To ETTR or not to ETTR...?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
jimkahnw
jimkahnw Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: example

You understand the importance of careful exposure control. ETTR refers to the histogram and if you look at yours, you'll see that the best exposures have a pixel value distribution that is not necessarily dominant on the right side of the graph. There is no such thing as the "perfect" histogram, as each subject is different and consequently will have a unique pixel value distribution.

I'm lazy and impatient: I set the exposure compensation to -.3EV, ISO high enough to avoid camera shake and subject motion and watch for overexposure in the live histogram. I use a middle f/stop for the lens to maximize image quality; the 4/3 sensors offer great depth of field. I don't worry about bokeh. Works every time. Some examples here: jimkphoto.com.

This thread has demonstrated how hung-up we are on following a certain technique to achieve the optimal exposure. I think we've made it needlessly complex. The scientists and engineers have enabled the camera manufacturers to simplify the process and made it simple for photographers to make great pictures. Coming from a film background, where I depended on a hand-held light meter and processed both color and black and white, I assure you the camera marvels we can put in our pockets are far, far easier to use than any analog camera. And, I would never trade Photoshop for a darkroom. Never.

-- hide signature --

JimK
It's not the camera; it's the photographer.
--Anonymous

jimkahnw's gear list:jimkahnw's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
XRF
XRF
XRF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow