Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,915
Re: Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Heliar wrote:

Historicity wrote:

Heliar wrote:

Historicity wrote:

DS21,

Of all the posts thus far, yours is closest to my own impression. I've been hanging out over on Nikon while waiting to see what Ricoh will do. I've still got all my Pentax gear and do use the KP and K1ii regularly, and fully plan to buy the new APS-C flagship when it comes out -- if it has advantages over the KP and D500. But I've noticed, the more time I spend over on Nikon, the less time I spend thinking (I've long since given up worrying) about Pentax.

Lawrence

Maybe that's just me, but I'll never get this waiting for Ricoh to release the "D500-killer" camera. D500 is a wildlife/sports beast and an overkill for anything else. Pentax never had ambitions to go into this market segment and I don't expect that to change. Even such giant as Sony, that drops a ton of money on R&D and marketing is still far away from threatening Nikon's position there.

I have the D500; so I would need the flagship Pentax APS-C to have "some advantages over the D500." I don't find that much difference between the D500 and the KP as far as the sort of shooting I do, and you'll notice that I didn't just say "advantages over the D500." Why would any Pentaxian buy the next Flagship APS-C camera if it had no advantages over the KP?

Well, apologies from my part. I incorrectly assumed it's just one more voice wishing the D500 with a K mount. Speaking from experience, this theme is quite likely to appear any time a discussion about K-3 II replacement comes up.

Anyways, why would anyone expect the next crop "flagship" camera from Ricoh had no advantages over KP? I mean, Ricoh has a history of debatable propositions, but they are not Canon. They shouldn't repeat the 6D story.

I guess I was a bit vague.  I meant advantages I could use.  For example, the D500 is a great birding camera from all reports.  I thought I might learn to get better BIF photos than I've managed in the past, but as soon as I got the camera, birds in flight, other than crows and pigeons, were few, and I wasn't willing to pattern my hikes around something that most likely wouldn't appear.

On my hike yesterday for example, I was using my 16MP Nikon Df with the Tamron 28-200 macro lens -- liking the idea of having a lens I could use for scemeru as well as wild flowers.  The lens was a bit of a disappointment btw, but at one point in the hike, a huge hawk  that I hadn't noticed, flew down from a tree near me, made a wide circuit and ended up on a high branch in another tree.  Neither my camera nor I were prepared for that hawk.  I didn't have the shutter speed high enough and while I might have taken a shot at the setting I had set, 1/250 I think, I wasn't quick enough to do that before the bird was no longer flying.  I set my shutter speed at 1/1000 and prowled about beneath his tree hoping to frighten him into taking to the air.  I did take several pictures of him sitting on his branch.  Looking at the photos later in editing I noticed that the hawk seemed to be sneering.

So I suppose I, theoretically, could use the BIF capability of my D500 -- and I convinced myself of that I could before buying the camera.  I mean this as an example of how loosely I define "features I can use."  If I can rationalize using any of the "new features, new capability, new almost anything" that is on the next edition of the Pentax flagship camera, I'm very likely going to buy it. 

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +112 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
K0d
K0d
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow