The little Sony arrived. Any tips setting it up?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,019
Re: Some reading, my choices for what suits me.

Digital Nigel wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Again many thanks for all your help and advices!

I love comparing my stuff. I shoot inside with my GX8 and 12.35 2.8 and compared it to the Sony at 2.8 and ISO800, and the GX8 used 1/50SS and the Sony 1/30ss. Does this sound normal? I know the GX8 have bigger sensor!

You have control of how it behaves: choose between the Slow, Slower, Fast, Faster, or Standard Auto ISO Minimum shutter speed options.

I normally choose Fast, so it has a bias towards choosing faster shutter speeds.

Yes i know that!, but i wounder why the GX8 use so much different SS than the Sony on the same subject, and both was set on ISO 800 and used 2,8

What was your setting? It affects what shutter speed the camera chooses. And what exposure area setting do you have?

Do you have any EV compensation set? I normally use -2/3 EV, as the camera tends to over-expose otherwise. If you do that, the shutter speed will increase.

I did not use the EV comp, it was set on 0!

Exactly, I think you should set it, and the shutter speed will go up. You didn't say what metering mode you used?

The default one!

Which is the default one? I soon change all the defaults in my cameras. I normally use the Spot Large metering mode now.

In any case, the problem image of the three you posted was from the Huawei, given that it blew the highlights, despite probably using HDR. Both cameras produced shots that would post-process better.

Have you tried using auto HDR with the Sony on that scene? Or shoot RAW with -2/3 EV, and shots like that will be no problem. If you did shoot RAW+J, have you tried processing the RAW file? Or upload it for others to try.

Yepp, i will try HDR and RAW as i upgraded today from DXO photolab to versjon 2

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow