Where from here: Fuji versus the rest

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 3,815
Re: Where from here: Fuji versus the rest

deednets wrote:

I have used Fuji cameras since 2013 and currently have a few lenses across the board, except the "fast" zooms and the long stuff. As I often dabble with other systems I now use a "dark-side" camera, the SONY A7III alongside the X-T2.

So where from here?? When I started using the A7III for portraits, I knew that there was no going back - for this type of photography - wide open with less than erratic results. I don't care whether it is my lack of knowledge, Chris Dodkin suggested I should buy a book on photography - and got plenty of thumbs up(s) which led me to believe that I am simply not good enough to use Fuji gear confidently: Putting a little square over somebody's eye a science exercise I failed to master, sadly.

Sony clearly has some juju going on with their eye AF. I've not used it but have seen and read enough comments by dedicated Nikon, Canon, Fuji and other brand photographers to take them at their word that this feature is impressive. Even Nikon - a company that almost never unlocks major upgrades through firmware updates - has unlocked workable eye AF in their mirrorless bodies.

Anyway, it seems to me that a photographer who tries a new camera and stays with it for functionality that has a significant positive impact on their photography, is just acting rationally.

In short: if it is the gear you cannot manage, try something else. And I did. It works better for me, but I will keep an eye on the next X-ProX camera. Will use the X-T2 in the meantime for shoots where the eye is less of an issue. Silly really how one can get sucked into something that all of a sudden appears to be a great leap forward. (And I DO remember those early days with auto-focus where people suggested that this wasn't necessary, good technique was all that was needed (same goes for light meters by the way, my first 3 cameras didn't have light meters built in!)).

During the late-1980s through mid-1990s, Canon leveraged significantly better AF to overtake Nikon as the top-selling camera manufacturer in the world. Eye AF that's just better than everybody else's, is a feature Sony could leverage to significantly increase market share. IMO, they need more lenses and especially more quality glass priced within reach of the enthusiast.

Here is a shot I took just the other day to try out the eye AF on the A7III (I am sure most posters here won't be interested, but here is a little challenge for Fuji - which is a good thing right?? The somewhat horrible new here for me at least is that ALL shots I took were in focus, regardless of who, when and where. Sadly I simply didn't get the same results from the X-T3 - which I liked, by the way!

A7III 85/1.8 F1.8 (APS-C 1.18 equiv)

A7III 85/1.8 F2.8 ( APS-C 1.83 equiv)

Equivalents = FF/1.53=APS-C (Fuji)

I'm curious, of the missed focus shots with the X-T3, roughly how many were compositions with good facial expressions that would've been keepers but for the missed focus?

Since SONY land is far from "just" glory (EVF not a match for the X-T2/3, UI, colours, homogeneous lens-landscape, size, shutter speeds(A7III limited to 1/8000s-30s)) there are a few things that I would want to be sorted before I would commit to another "new" Fuji body (possibly the X-Pro3):

• Eye AF would be cool to be somewhat near the SONY
  • EVF on the X-Pro3 at least the same size as the A6400 (0.78x). Too much to ask??
  • Either an external EVF or a tilt screen with tap-to-shoot touch.
  • A new 56/1.2 to match the camera speed re AF
  • The 35/1.4 although slow I don't have an issue with
  • X-Trans I like!

That's about it.

I also had the opportunity to try the latest Panasonic FF, that felt VERY confident and fast - but not for me. Nice handling though.

So as it stands I am now in 3-camera land again, not exactly a new scenario for me, but that's what it is.

For now.

Deed

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow