Europe with m43 - What worked what didn't retrospective

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Blueshound
Blueshound Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Japan with Pana Leica 12-60 f2.8-4

My take on this is only a bit different from the opinions expressed thus far.  I prefer Panasonic in terms of bodies, and because of a preference for lighter weight and smaller size for travel, I also prefer Panasonic lenses, as the better Oly zooms are all significantly larger & heavier, so seem to me to defeat the most significant differentiating advantage of m43.

If I want to carry more lens weight, or restrict myself to primes, I may as well take my Sony kit.

I love the G9 (recent acquisition), and because the ergonomics are so exceptional, don't mind the body size & weight (the same as my A7RIII, in fact). The Panasonic zoom lenses are so tiny and light that they make for a much lighter kit overall, while providing good image quality.

I have a P 7-14/4, but added the P 8-18, with the idea that the equivalent of 16mm at the wide end is wide enough, most of the time, and an equivalent of 36mm is at the wide end of "normal". In urban locations, I can get along nicely with the 8-18 roughly 85% - 90% of the time.

The Panasonic 35-100/2.8 would be an ideal 2nd lens for me; it starts at the long end of "normal", which makes it a good compliment to the 8-18.  I would mostly use it between 35 and 65 mm, but reaching to an equivalent of 200mm would come in handy once in a while.

So, for travel, Panasonic 8-18 + 35-100/2.8.

My wife has a G85 and a P 14-140II. She loves that lens for its' versatility and reach, and has no interest in swapping lenses.

Brian

-- hide signature --

Photos: www.flickr.com/photos/blueshound

Blueshound's gear list:Blueshound's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow