Photo editing laptops

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Brad Bohland
Brad Bohland Veteran Member • Posts: 6,325
Re: Hands-on

Austinian wrote:

Brad Bohland wrote:

Austinian wrote:

When I'm shopping for a laptop, I read as many technical and user reviews of the ones I'm considering as possible.

This website has some of the most detailed reviews I've seen, and is a good place to start research.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/

I read a number of reviews of 13" laptops and thought the Dell XPS 13 with a 4K screen sounded like the best fit for me.

At 13" size, I only want FHD resolution, but that's personal taste.

That's what I ended up with.

But then I went to Micro Center and spent 4-5 hours comparing the Dell with an Asus Zenbook 13, a Lenovo 730s, and the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2.

I looked at a lot of additional reviews while I was on them, including notebookcheck, and found them helpful but the hands-on was decisive.

To really get the feel and look you have to meet them in person. If you're lucky enough to have a great store like Micro Center.

The hands-on is indeed helpful for important things like trackpad and keyboard feel that are highly subjective; I much prefer to have a physical PC available for such things.

However, important technical details like color gamut, processor throttling and other potential performance issues etc., often don't show up without specific, rigorous tests. I want to have both.

Absolutely.  Though I would include how the graphics actually look because the specs alone aren't going to tell you that.  Some screens look better (or worse) than the specs would lead you to think.  Best practice:  bring a flash drive loaded with your pics.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow