Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,386
Re: Imaging Resource's CP+ interview with Ricoh

Heliar wrote:

Historicity wrote:

DS21,

Of all the posts thus far, yours is closest to my own impression. I've been hanging out over on Nikon while waiting to see what Ricoh will do. I've still got all my Pentax gear and do use the KP and K1ii regularly, and fully plan to buy the new APS-C flagship when it comes out -- if it has advantages over the KP and D500. But I've noticed, the more time I spend over on Nikon, the less time I spend thinking (I've long since given up worrying) about Pentax.

Lawrence

Maybe that's just me, but I'll never get this waiting for Ricoh to release the "D500-killer" camera. D500 is a wildlife/sports beast and an overkill for anything else. Pentax never had ambitions to go into this market segment and I don't expect that to change. Even such giant as Sony, that drops a ton of money on R&D and marketing is still far away from threatening Nikon's position there.

If you like D500, just buy it. Looking that you already have KP, K-1 II and plan to buy the next crop Pentax, it doesn't seem to me that money is a big concern for you. Maybe even take a look at Canon's 7D II, although that camera could use an update more than anything from current Pentax lineup (interestingly enough, you don't see that many Canonians being disappointed at 'no crop sensor flagship for a long time').

I have switched from K-3 II to K-1 few years ago and never looked back. I might grow interest in this new APS-C 'flagship' if it gets some interesting tech like a hybrid VF, but otherwise, my crop sensor times are long gone.

I am not talking about a flagship of the level of D500, the K-7/K-5/K-3 series was never on that level, it was more a super ergonomic, perfect grip form factor D7000/71000/7200 competitor. As such, it was a main propellant of the Pentax success  with Pentaxians. Now, KP may be a great camera, but it is simply not K-3 replacement for many, including me. Ricoh is in no position to lose more market share that they already have, by waiting so long to release the K-3 replacement in a winning form/shape formula of K-7/K-5/K-3 series so many Pentaxians have grown to like and expect through the years. I have the K-1, but it is significantly bigger and heavier then K-3. Holding the KP did not leave me impressed, it is just a lazy ass response to ML competition with as little development investment as possible.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
K0d
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow