Upgrade Lenses vs. Changing Systems

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Cato1040
Cato1040 Senior Member • Posts: 2,706
Re: Switching systems on a $1600 budget? Maybe not a good idea

Astrotripper wrote:

Kupkake wrote:

$1600 is not enough to go FF.

My apologies, should have specified further. 1600 (maybe even up to 2000) is my budget for the camera alone, where I could spend another 1000-1600 on lenses. Essentially, I'm looking for used lenses in the sub $800 range.

OK, that makes a lot more sense. You can work with that kind of budget. Buying second hand is probably a good idea as well (although I personally would be vary of buying second hand lens, unless I had an option to return it).

If I went the sony FF route, I'd be looking at stuff like the 28mm f2, tamron 28-75mm f2.8, sony 85mm f1.8, maybe even the sony 50mm 1.8 since its pretty cheap.

Yeah, if you don't have a big need for long lenses (ergonomics on Sony is not that good for that), that sounds like a reasonable direction. A7II can be bought quite cheaply, even brand new. But you might be able to get A7 III within your budget and start with the Tamron 28-75. And the list of improvements on III might be worth it. A kit built around A7 III would be quite future proof. You would probably have little need to upgrade for the next few years. Just slowly add lenses over time.

I'd personally wait for reviews on the new Samyang 45/1.8 before considering Sony 50/1.8.

So A7 II and more lenses or A7 III and less lenses. Both viable options, I think.

Yea, that budget really changes things. I too agree that the A7III used could probably be found at that price and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a fantastic standard range fast lens to pair it with at a pretty good price. Christopher Frost did a review on the Samyang 45mm f/1.8 and listed its autofocus speed and image quality as average. If that's true, then if it was $200 or under, it may be worth it, but at $400, I think the Sony 50mm f/1.8 or Samyang 35mm f/2.8 may be the better purchase.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 NEX5R Nikon D600 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow