Chasing rainbows? (The hunt for the elusive perfect paper)

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jake_P New Member • Posts: 13
Chasing rainbows? (The hunt for the elusive perfect paper)

Hi,

I've been scouring the internet and sampling various test paper packs in the quest for a paper that can give good blacks and good colour saturation whilst having minimal gloss.

I know this is fundamentally the compromise in that matte papers will always offer 'flatter' images but there is such a dizzying array of options out there and I've become slightly obsessed with the hunt.

I've always printed onto semi gloss which suits my graphic art very well and really brings out all the textures I use in the Photoshop composites that I create beautifully but I've always felt the paper just feels for want of a better word 'cheap'

So I guess then for what I'm looking for in terms of colour saturation, black contrast and overall quality in the hand, a Baryta paper is my only choice?

I've seen a couple of matte type Baryta papers online, and from memory I think one was a Fotospeed (name eludes me at the moment) but after finding a review, they found the blacks to be quite grey which didn't surprise me.

So to summarise, does a paper exist that can give a ball park set of performance of a semi gloss/lustre etc in a semi matte option?  I'm pretty sure it doesn't now after extensive research but would love to hear any thoughts/experiences you have had personally.

Thanks so much in advance..

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow